Monday, November 09, 2009

relaxing with what one can do

I have several books I want to read now, all at the same time. Some are challenging intellectually, probably all of them to some degree. And there's just no way I have time to do justice to them all, or finish them as soon as I want to, or think I need to. Add to that other responsibilities, and you get the picture.

In such places, whatever it is we may be doing we need to learn to relax with what we can do, rather than hurry and end up distraught over what we can't do. In this we have the joy of working hard, but well. When I put too much on my plate, I can eat too fast, hardly enjoying the food, or at least not enough, and I am probably eating too much, and end up uncomfortable, at least. With too much to do, I can end up the same way, really getting little out of it, and glad when it's over. Hardly what was in my mind and heart at the beginning when I was eagerly looking forward to it.

In all of this is humility as well. It is a walk with God and with others in this life, not just me individually with God. We need God and each other. We each have our part in this, and we need to simply learn to relax with what we can do, what God has called us to do. As the writer of Ecclesiastes wrote, "Much study wearies the body...The end of the matter is Fear God! And keep his commandments."

And we should love to work hard, but it should be like play as well. As much as that is possible in this fallen world, where toil and difficulty are inevitable.

What would you like to add here, or any thoughts?

4 comments:

preacherman said...

Great post!
I totally agree.

Anonymous said...

i am glad you said this because i can not keep up with the reading of sitting at the feet of rabbi Jesus. it encourages me to not give up reading it just because of this.

thanks, ted.

grape harvest lasted several weeks and that kept us all very busy.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Thanks, Kinney and nAncY.

Good, nAncY. It's good to do what we can. For most it is like that. There's only so much time. And reading takes a lot of time, getting through books.

Ted M. Gossard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.