Tuesday, February 28, 2006

truth-telling of our own story

In Scot McKnight's book, Embracing Grace: A Gospel for All of Us, he has some thoughts on "truth-telling" and on "learning to tell the truth of our own story". One is reminded (as Scot reminds us) of David's great psalm of confession (51) and of other passages, like 1 John 1:9: "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." (TNIV)

Embracing God's grace for us comes by embracing God's truth about ourselves. It's not pretty. Or impressive. But with the acknowledgement of what we know to be true of ourselves can come God's forgiveness, cleansing, healing and transforming. But to hide the truth about ourselves means to fail to embrace God's grace for us.

In a way, I find it amazing how getting into a book like Jeremiah (which I happen to be doing now) can become freeing. Jeremiah, telling the truth about God's impenitent (unrepentant) people, as well as the truth about himself. Not pretty reading, even though in good poetic form. But the truth, no less. Part of the necessary truth that can set us free.

Surely this needs to become, for us, a holy habit. Sin in our lives is ongoing (1 John 1:7-10). So the need for truth-telling about ourselves to ourselves, to God, and when needed to each other- and that, maybe more needed than we imagine (James 5:16) is all a part of really embracing God's grace for us in Jesus.

Father, I know I struggle often to have a good attitude and thankful heart. Let me expose myself completely to you. And let me not be ashamed, though in that broken nakedness, because I know you will clothe me with your amazing grace- your love, forgiveness and cleansing. Let me engage regularly in the holy habit of truth-telling to you, and when it would be helpful, to others. So as to embrace the grace you have for us in your Son. Amen.

No comments: