Monday, February 27, 2006

Attitude

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company ... a church ... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude ... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you ... we are in charge of our Attitudes." (Charles Swindoll)

I have to acknowledge that one thing I struggle with nowdays at times, and maybe more or less all the time is attitude. I have a passion to teach, preach and pastor. But over the years I did not overcome a number of factors. Now that I've overcome many and in general all of them, what's left behind at times is an attitude. Though I cover it up well, most of the time, at times it can be near the surface, and reflected on me nonverbally in such a way that indicates I'd like people to see it so that I could share my heart and struggle with them, if they would listen.

But if Charles Swindoll is right, and I think he is, then I could have overcome much better than I have, up to this point. And I can do better with whatever days God has left for me on this earth. His words surely resonate biblically, and are encouraging us not to live under the circumstances, but in Jesus to rise above them (as A.W. Tozer said).

Perspective is important here. Seeing the stories of people in the Bible can help. Many of them lived with thoughts and dreams supposed to be from God, unfulfilled. Their stories are there, warts and all, along with God's goodness in seeing them through.

God, Let us live, not according to our take on anything, but more and more according to your take and your (good) will. Let us have the attitude of mind among ourselves that was lived out here on earth by your Son. Through your Spirit. Amen.

No comments: