Friday, December 19, 2008

too good to be true

Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.
1 John 3:2
It's a wise axiom that if something seems too good to be true, than ordinarily it is!

Sometimes in certain settings, let's take a work setting, people may get certain notions, hyped up notions of a person. Sometimes I think some have gotten an idealized notion of me. Those on my team know better, I think. Though hopefully they see Jesus in me, or sense Jesus' working in my life, at least. And my wife knows better, though I'd be devastated if she didn't see Jesus in me, all a matter of grace for sure.

When any of these people with an idealized notion really get to know a person, they'll find out that they're ordinary in most any and every way, and that they struggle, too. Certainly true of me, I speak here of myself.

But wonderfully as seen in the passage above, someday what is too good to be true will happen in Jesus. Something beyond us now, something beyond our wildest imagination and dreams. We will be like him, but mystery lies in our becoming then, as well.

Back to the present. I think when we're freed up to simply be ourselves, we can then live in the freedom of the Lord. When I'm around people who I think look down on me, it's hard for me to be myself. Though of course I don't know what kind of masks I wear anytime, for that matter. But I really like to be just myself around people, no different than when I'm alone. I find one as binding and bondage making, as the other is liberating and freeing. So good to be around people who entirely accept one, in spite of their imperfections and faults.

It's so wonderful to know that we can just be ourselves before the Lord and before each other. And just accept each other and learn to love each other in Jesus, in spite of all our wrongs and areas of weakness. And so wonderful to see the change in Jesus setting in us now, both on a personal level as well as in each other. And we must be patient. What a wonderful day it will be at the wedding supper of the Lamb as we get to know Jesus there and each other and with the change that will be brought to maturity in Jesus!

What would you like to add to these thoughts?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

your words remind me of this verse...

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8

Every Square Inch said...

"we shall be like him; for we shall see him face to face"

I can't get over that part...amazing. Here's another thing - beholding Christ is what brings us into conformance to him. Fulfillment of this on the last day but also true right now.

Every Square Inch said...

sorry - I was so amazed, I misquoted the verse...but I think the essence of truth was preserved.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Nancy,
Amen. We all need that, and most every day, if not every day. For sins of omission, as well as commission.

Ted M. Gossard said...

ESI,
So very true. A mystery both then and now. Though it's true we become like those we look up to and would emulate.