Sunday, May 03, 2009

quote of the week: Henri Nouwen on intimacy with the Lord

When we have met our Lord in the silent intimacy of our prayer, then we will also meet him . . . in the market, and in the town square. But when we have not met him in the center of our own hearts, we cannot expect to meet him in the busyness of our daily lives.
Henri Nouwen, ¡Gracias! A Latin American Journal, 21, from Cornelius Plantinga, Jr., Engaging God's World: A Christian Vision of Faith, Learning, and Living, 30.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing henri's words.

nannykim said...

good quote; I have read a few of his books....he has some good insight, but I can't quite figure him out. He seemed to think that not everyone needed Christ for salvation

Ted M. Gossard said...

Nancy,
Thanks. He is a good, interesting writer. Though I think I've only read one of his books myself.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Nannykim,
Thanks. I don't know firsthand anything about that. I do think there's at least a strain of thought among some Roman Catholics that God reveals something of himself and truth through other religions, though error is still in those religions. And that God saves people through Christ, but according to their reception by grace of the light they have. But that's only a guess. You have my curiosity. But I can assure you that Plantinga who quotes him has no such thought.