Wednesday, May 27, 2009

more grace

Although James 4:6 in context means something different, we can know in our struggles that "more grace" is available to us, in Jesus.

We've all been in situations that were difficult, because of the people we have relationships to. Not to say that none of the difficulty is due to us. But I'm thinking of those who may be domineering, critical, harsh, judgmental, etc.

Sometimes I figure I'm near "the end of my rope." There's nothing left, and I'm read to bail out.

But God's call to us in Christ is higher. After all, isn't it a call to love even our enemies? We are told "as much as lies in us" we're to live at peace with all people. This is not just a "live and let live" kind of peace. But more than that, it's a peace that longs for the blessing of the other, the ultimate, lasting blessing being found in Christ.

So we need to pray and ask God for "more grace." I've found he gives it to us, and that there are "grace moments" when his love again can reign supreme, even if our capacities for it are still small.

This prayer, and need for "more grace" will be ongoing, no doubt. We can never think we've arrived in this life. But this promise along with faith presents opportunities for not only personal change, but relational change, akin and even attuned to the reality we have in the God who is love.

What would you like to add to these "notes"?

4 comments:

Litl-Luther said...

Good thoughts, Ted.

nannykim said...

I love this post--SOOoooo true--"grace moments"--I love that phrase. I think I need to remember that phrase!

Ted M. Gossard said...

Thanks, Lt'l Luther. Hope all is going well for you folks in Nepal.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Nannykim,
I can't remember where I picked up that phrase probably years back. Maybe Chuck Swindoll or someone else, or maybe just hearing it somewhere. Does have a nice ring.

Thanks.