Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I've been tagged...

...by Scot McKnight.

1. One book that changed your life: How to Pray, by R.A. Torrey. As a young Christian. Many have impacted me since.
2. One book that you’ve read more than once: Embracing Grace: A Gospel for All of Us, by Scot McKnight. And I'll read it again.
3. One book you’d want on a desert island: (besides the Bible, of course) Mere Christianity, by C.S. Lewis. Because it more or less sketches the whole picture.
4. One book that made you laugh: Dave Barry Slept Here: A Sort of History of the United States, by Dave Barry. I enjoy the humor section oftentimes at bookstores.
5. One book that made you cry: What's So Amazing About Grace?, by Philip Yancey. Good and moving stories.
6. One book you wish had been written: The Gospel of Jesus and the Kingdom of God, by the Apostle Paul.
7. One book you wish had never been written: Mein Kampf, by Adolph Hitler. Can't think of a more destructive book.
8. One book you’re currently reading: The Drama of Doctrine: A Canonical-Linguistic Approach to Christian Theology, by Kevin J. Vanhoozer. Not disappointed.
9. One book you’ve been meaning to read: Life Together: The Classic Exploration of Faith in Community by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. I need to work on reading Bonhoeffer.
10. Tag 5 others: Drew Moser, Jamie Arpin-Ricci, Lukas McKnight, Michael Kruse, Rusty Peterman. I read from Michael Barber on Scot McKnight's Jesus Creed that we're to contact those we tag by e-mail.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this meme! It is so fun to see what everyone has read. What a wonderfully creative thought about Paul, too, writing a Gospel. Good one!

Ted M. Gossard said...

Thanks Susan. Yeah. I really wasn't thinking of that as a fifth Gospel. Your thought does make it creative.

It is fun, and I look forward to seeing more.

Jim Martin said...

Ted,
Not familiar with the Drama of Doctrine but have heard it recommended by several people recently. May have to pick it up.

Allan R. Bevere said...

I have seen the Barry book in the book store. It sounds like you would recommend it.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Jim,
I'm half way through it. Vanhoozer is trekking through "neo-liberals" and others in a significant portion of my reading so far. But I'm seeing enough of where he is going to think that this is going to be one of those paradigm change/impact kind of books (already impacting me that way, as I reflect on it, I think). And some very helpful theological thought on tradition. And as I recall (and just verified), Scot highly recommends it. He did a review on it, as you probably recall: http://www.jesuscreed.org/?p=251
Thanks for your comment.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Allan,

It does have alot of paragraphs and sections that I thought were quite funny. Check out the section on Abraham Lincoln. And as I recall, on Christopher Columbus. A kind of humor I like. Though I have seen books in the humor section that struck me at least as funny. But book budget does not allow me to go there (not much anyhow). So since I'm lean on that (kind of a late discovery in life), I came up with that book on a read that made me laugh. I'd just say, give it a look. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0449904628/002-9062353-0364840?v=glance&n=283155

I think it is Douglas Moo in an NIV Application Commentary (2 Pe, Jude, I think) who made me aware of this book, so I can blame him if you don't like it (he shared the story on Abraham Lincoln).

John Frye said...

Ted,
A great list of books. I, too, will have ti get the "Drama of Doctrine." A lot of folks like *Mere Christianity.* What a classic!

Ted M. Gossard said...

Thanks John.

So many good books out there. I wish I was a better reader, though I do love to do it.