Wednesday, November 11, 2009

politics and the kingdom

(I overslept for the second day in a row. This of necessity must be short, since today I barely got up in time to get around. Tomorrow we continue the book by Ann Spangler and Lois Tverberg.)

Was Jesus political? Yes and no. If we mean in terms of this world, coming as an alternative party to work in the system, by all means no. But if we means in terms of "the kingdom of God" come in him, into this world, and yes into the political sphere, to begin transforming all things now, and someday to do so when Jesus returns, by all means, yes.

However while this is true, I wonder if we Christians who hold to it can easily get lost in it, and end up losing our identity and being sidetracked from our calling in its pursuit. There is no doubt that the gospel of the kingdom in Jesus is bigger than I was taught to think as a boy. It encompasses the reconciliation of all things in Christ, with the call to reconciliation to be sounded from us to all others. And from that our task on earth as those under God remains the same. Just thinking, and must end now....

3 comments:

preacherman said...

Wonderful post Ted.
I agree with you that Jesus was about His Kingdom. Different. Righteous. Holy. Eternal.

I believe many believers confuse politics with the kingdom of God was about. God never mentions that you have to be a republican to be godly. Yet, how many Christians persecute other Christians for believing different politically. I think in the time and world we are living today to many believers are more passionate about politics than their are about the Kingdom of God. We need to remember that earthly kingdoms will rise and fall yet God's kingdom lives forever. I am remined of Jesus words in Matthew 7, "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and his righteousness and all these things shall be given to you as well." Are wee seeking first the Kingdom of God? My prayer is that we as believers will stop focusing so much on the politics of this world and start getting passionate about Christ kingdom. May remember that we are as Peter mentions, "Aliens and Strangers in a land." Paul in Philippians 3, "We are citizens of heaven."
Thanks brother again for your words and this post. It has made me think about what I am passionate about and focused on...Now I am going to go turn off FOXNEWS...LOL :-)

Ted M. Gossard said...

Thanks, Kinney. Yes I agree. Those on the "right" though see the kingdom of God differently in how it is worked out in this world. So that they may be seeking God's kingdom in earnest, but are not in agreement with others of us in how that is worked out in this life and in this world. Not that we have it down pat, either.

Ted M. Gossard said...

I will add to that, though, I'm not sure all Christians see much application of the kingdom of God in this life. But more, or completely in terms of the next life. But that doesn't square with Scripture.