Friday, October 13, 2006

a small editorial: political (and talk radio) arrogance: let's avoid it

I am fascinated by the charges of arrogance given by talk radio against the political party they oppose. There is really arrogance on every side. And the devastating part is when we Christians are caught up in all of this. Then we unwittingly can become partakers in this same kind of arrogance.

I am sad at saying this. I really can't take seriously much of what I catch on talk radio. Because those ready to do eye surgery on others, or ready to stone others, fail to see their own blindness and sin.

It is refreshing to see people talk about issues and with respect to their opponents, as Eikons of God- when that happens. Let's not lower ourselves, as those in the Jesus community, to the thoughts and standards that are common fare- and even more so, this political season.

Please don't miss the "embracing grace" post of today, not seen unless one scrolls down.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ted:

Well said. I think the current Mark Foley scandal has revealed the arrogance and hypocrisy on both sides of the political aisle; on the Republicans who apparently attempted to hide the situation and on the Democrats, some who apparently knew about it since last spring, but sat on it to maximize their political advantage.

It is quite unfortunate when the desire for power trumps the desire for what is right.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Amen, Allan. It involves power for too many. Rather than a quest for truth and to do right and well.

Michael Kruse said...

I love to debate and explore any number of political ideas and I am around people with very different views than mine. I have determined that in so far as it depends on me I am willing to have opponents but I will not have enemies. My goal is that at the end of each politcal discussion things should be in such a state that when finished my opponent and I could sit down and break bread together. I am not saying it always works but it is the image I try to have of the end of the conversation.

Anonymous said...

Amen, Michael. I pick that up clearly from your conversations on "Jesus Creed" especially. And in dealing with issues on your own post. We need much more of that. When people can intelligently discuss and debate issues and keep "the Jesus Creed" in doing so.

Thanks.

Andy Blanks said...

Ted,
Again, you have hit on something that I take issue with, as well. I used to listen to a lot of talk radio. But I realized that many of the people I listened to were just as inflammatory, just as extreme in terms of their willingness to defend their party at any cost, as the people they were railing against. I have found, much like Michael, that with a vast majority of people I can have a conversation where we disagree, but attempt to at least listen to each other’s views. At the very least, I can leave a conversation like that feeling empathy for the other person.

But that probably doesn't make for good radio, does it?

Anonymous said...

Andy,

I sure wish what you say would be the case. Bloggers such as yourself, Michael, Scot McKnight, etc., help bring a tone, even in difficult discussions, that is honoring to God and to human beings who are Eikons of God.

And I largely avoid talk radio (once in awhile I'll hit it, just to see what they're up to, but never very long), because if I listen to it too long, I find I can easily pick up their spirit. The same is true of bloggers. If I find a blog that has alot of good in it, but everything is wrong with this and that and everything else, and they have the right answers, I avoid those for the same reason.

Thanks for your good thought here.