Wednesday, January 30, 2008

the change in waiting

Yesterday in a comment, Rachel reminded me and us, of the change that can come as we're waiting on the Lord. I find this to be true in my life at times. I may be aware of something about myself that is either plainly not right, or I'm not sure about. And in the meantime, I may not be sure what to do about it.

It's always safe and sound to bring it to God, and then wait. To keep bringing it before God and keep waiting, if nothing else, just to remind ourselves why and what we're waiting for.

I find myself waiting for a clear answer from God, as I commit myself to following him in obedience, no matter what he puts on my heart and mind to do. And as children of God, I'm sure we've all been there, when God seemed to clearly put it on our hearts what we should do in a difficult matter. And even when it was hard, all of the edge was taken off simply because we had a clear, unwavering sense that God had given and was giving that direction to us.

But I've found just as often, if not more, that God's answer is not so much to change the course I'm to take, but to change me which then subtly, or perhaps not so subtly, changes what course I take or am taking.

This waiting is sometimes crucial at certain times. But in a sense we're to be so waiting before God all the time. As L.L. Barkat reminded me yesterday it's more about what God gives us then what we do ourselves. From what God gives to us in blessing, we then give to each other and to the world in which we live.

What about you? What have you found in the change that comes by waiting on the Lord?

8 comments:

preacherman said...

"They taht wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings like the eagles. The shall run and not be weary, they shall run and not be faint. Teach me Lord, teach me Lord to wait." Stuart Hamblen. A song I love to sing that reminds me of the blessings that await me if I wait on the Lord.

Anonymous said...

patience
humility
closness to God
dependence on God
understanding
love of God
peace in God

Rachel Mc said...

"waiting for a clear answer from God" This is tough for me because I am not a "waiting" person but a "doing" person and sometimes I do believe that is what God is exactly trying to point out to me and change inside me. There is a lot of good that comes from patience and waiting on anyone, but especially God. I have found if I accept waiting on a clear answer from God I don't become critical of God and life. I know people who give up on God because they just can't wait and that is so sad..Through my waiting I have learned to understand the meaning of "God put it on my heart to..." and that took some time for me to learn. I am not sure if it was because I had to learn confidence in God or in myself understanding God's whisperings.....hmmm..I still am not sure about that!

Ted M. Gossard said...

Amen, Kinney. Good songs help us reflect well on Scripture, and that's one of them. And a good prayer in it, as well!

Ted M. Gossard said...

Nancy, Sounds like relationship as well as going through the hard knocks of living in this world. Big even in Jesus' life here.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Rachel,
Thanks for those good words for all of us.

I really need to wait and be silent in my spirit and mind, much more. To live more that way.

I tend to think alot, and I'm afraid that while that's okay in its place, and a part of how God created me, it can well get in the way of God and what he wants to convey to me, and work in me.

I like your thought about confidence in being enabled or learning to pick up God's voice to us. I think I'm beginning to get that a little better in a new way, lately.

Anonymous said...

I find that in time waiting changes me. Lets be honest, we don't always ask with the right motives. It is in those times of waiting that the Lord clears my head and puts me on the right path.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Mike,
I think that's one key point in waiting: we need correction. Part of waiting, probably a big part of waiting on God for me is when I know I'm either wrong or off track or have a sense that may the case, even if I can't really quite put my finger on it, or really get hold of it.

But your point about time: well taken. By faith we wait and that may take longer than we imagined, as God does his work, his often mysterious work.