Tuesday, March 11, 2008

praying for each other

What can be a happy effect of praying for each other is that we end up both benefiting.

Let's say for example that I'm down or out in some way, and I share that with my wife, or with a brother or sister in Jesus. And then they pray for me. In time, God graciously answers their prayer and in God's good wisdom and working I'm out of my trouble.

But what then? Knowing this fresh outpouring of God's Spirit in my own heart and life, I turn that into prayer for others, including the ones who I shared my own trouble with. And God works for us both.

This is one important part of us being Christ's Body in the world, being blessed in Jesus that we might be a blessing in him, to the world. That Jesus in us will make a difference in what we do and say; that God's love in Jesus will be poured out on us so that we can share that love with others, and in the hard places of our world.

What would you like to add or share in regard to this?

4 comments:

yp said...

And He will yet deliver us, 11 you also joining in helping us through your prayers, so that thanks may be given by many persons on our behalf for the favor bestowed on us through the prayers of many.
- 2 Cor 1:11

Rachel Mc said...

The hardest thing I have ever done is the one I am most proudest of (and I believe God is proud of me too) is that everynight when my sons and I pray, we ask the Holy Spirit to fill their father with grace and to help him find Jesus.
I can see the benefit my sons feel and I think it is proff that God is with me and guiding me.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Yipeng,
Thanks for the verse and for visiting and commenting!

Ted M. Gossard said...

Wonderful, Rachel. That is teaching them alot, and besides, prayer is dangerous, especially often from little and younger ones, although really from every righteous person, as in James 5. Blessings on you and yours.