Friday, October 09, 2009

our focus

Years back I did a high ropes course. Some 30 feet high, the first year when I got to the top I was terrified when I looked down. Went across one rope and fell at least once doing so. And got down after that first crossing, as soon as possible!

Next year I determined NOT to look down. I did the whole ropes course without falling (falling would have been a good test, and not sure I would have passed it!) because I refused to look down, but instead concentrated all of my focus on the ropes and their trajectories, etc.

An analogy, and imperfect as all analogies are, but this reminds me of our walk of faith now. In this part of the new covenant, being God's resurrection, new covenant people, in the days of our humiliation (prior to our glorification) in following Jesus, as we see through a glass darkly and know in part, we need to make all the more effort to keep our focus on Christ in this life, just as Hebrews 11 and the first part of 12 points out to us.

There are umpteen things that break my focus on God through Christ. I probably couldn't name them all, or if I did I'd be in danger of losing my focus by being distracted by any one of them! But that's where what we do by faith matters. What do I do when I lose my focus? Hopefully I pray, and get into God's word. And begin to ponder as I slowly work my way through a passage. Then most assuredly in time as I am hearing God's voice in some way to me through Scripture, I will pray. And will be regaining anew the focus I need in this life which is darkness apart from the object of that focus which is God's word to us in Scripture and in Jesus.

What might you like to share from your own life on this which can help us, or any other thoughts on this?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is amazing. Can't imagine doing that. Thanks for sharing. So true, when I focus on the problem, anxiety swells up and when I focus on Jesus, He carries me along moment by moment one day at a time.
lu brother,
Cheryl

Ted M. Gossard said...

Cheryl,
Thanks so much for your comment. And "Amen" on that!
Love,
Ted