Monday, April 07, 2008

when faced with trials

Trouble is the lot of humankind under the fall. No sooner do we get out of one problem then there will soon be another following. Although I don't always handle problems well intially anyhow, I've at least come a long ways in accepting the fact of their inevitability.

Scripture tells us that when we're in trouble we're to pray. This is an occasion for our faith to be exercised and grow. Indeed all that comes to us passes through God's hands. Some of the trouble stems from our own sin in either doing something or failing to do what we should have done. And much of it can be just because we live in a fallen world in which bad things do happen in every sphere.

I wonder how Jesus looks at us and our reactions sometimes, to trials. Surely he is often just as disappointed as he was at times with his disciples when he was here on earth. It seemed like those closest to him at times, were slow to learn, while some who had no close association seemed to get it, or at least by their troubles were put in a place in which they found faith and acted on it.

I hope I grow in my faith when hit with new trials, regardless of what my first reaction may have been. And I hope I grow in regard to my first reaction. That I would trust God in it all. Not easy but that is faith. Faith in God through Christ by the Spirit and in the community of Jesus.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. The trials are the tough parts. This is where we need others praying for us.

preacherman said...

I believe we need to share with each other when we are going through trials in our lives, that is true ministry. Prayer. Sharing eachothers burdens.
The word "rejoice" actually mean to "glory in" when you have trials of many kinds. "Glory in" to me means that I let God work in my life as I am undergoing those trials in life. Build my faith. Help me become more like Him. Help me to be able to become a tool and help someone else who is going through the same thing. Ted, thank you brother for you wonderful post. It is such an encouragement to me and has help my Spiritual life in way you will never know.
Thank you!
In Him,
Kinney Mabry

Anonymous said...

glory in!
glory in!
glory in!

"glory in"

hum....perspective altered a bit here.

got a little tweek in the God direction here today.

pray...pray....pray

passes through God's hands.


slow to learn
troubles
tweek
glory in
pray
not like the world


share and prayer

good post
good comments
love

Anonymous said...

oops bad spelling again!

tweak!

Ted M. Gossard said...

Mike,
Yes. There are those special times and seasons when we need other's prayers, for sure.

Thanks.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Kinney,
Thanks for your good words of instruction and encouragement!

Ted M. Gossard said...

Nancy,
Thanks, sister. Aren't we all slow to learn, or I should speak for myself, and I am.