Wednesday, August 06, 2008

"Forest Star - humility" from L.L. Barkat

from Stone Crossings: Finding Grace in Hard and Hidden Places

This chapter is for me an amazing take on humility cast in a light which I've not seen, and certainly not as thoroughly. Along with the "discussion questions," this so far is the epitome of what I've seen again and again in this book.

I've seen myself as much of the time, generally humble. Not that pride never rears its ugly head so that I never have to struggle against it, because sometimes I do have that struggle. But most of the time, and for good reason in my mind, I don't see this as a major issue in my life. But this chapter makes me think twice on that.

Again L.L. shares transparently from her own life, and looks at two who overcame: Thomas Merton and Moses, along with those who did not: Satan and Absalom. This chapter along with the penetrating, excellent "discussion questions" in the back, makes me wonder just where I really am when it comes to humility.

The point in a nutshell is whether or not we are seeking any glory for ourselves in what we do. Perhaps we're unaware of that, but in one moment the ugly truth can become clear.

If we're blessed like Thomas Merton and Moses to recognize and acknowledge this, so that we can confess it to God in a renunciation which accepts God's word of forgiveness to us, then we can end up finding a glory that lasts, in a close love relationship with God through Christ in which God receives the glory, but we share in his glory (also here and here). We become, as it were, lights in the Lord, in whom God's beauty and glory can be revealed and seen by others. In the case of Moses, God steps in and stops him with judgment, but through that Moses knows the lasting good.

This chapter shook me, and makes me question where I really am in this, and reenforces that I want to be among those who seek no glory of their own, but live and do all for the glory of God.

What would you like to share from your life on this, or any thoughts?

1. Stepping Stones - conversion
2. Christmas Coal - shame
3. Tossed Treasures - messiness
4. Heron Road - suffering
5. Sword in the Stone - resistance
6. Howe's Cave - baptism
7. Palisade Cliffs - doubt
8. Holding Pfaltzgraff - inclusion
9. Indiana Jones - fear
10. Old Stone Church - love
11. Goldworthy's Wall - sacrifice
12. Clefts of the Rock - responsibility
13. Olive Press - gratitude

Next week: "Seedstone - healing"

1 comment:

Ted M. Gossard said...

This chapter alone with the discussion questions is worth the price of the book easily. It really spoke volumes into my life.

But the entire book really, is that way. Each chapter is really like a book in itself. Hope all of you out there read it some time. And reread it. It's one of those books to work on, a gift.

This book can be deceptive in that it's interesting, so you want to keep moving through it. But you get the most out of it, easily, by taking it slow and really working not only through it, but on it before yourself and God. At least that's the way it's been for me.