Sunday, March 29, 2009

quote of the week: Scot McKnight on the Golden Rule

I used to think the Golden Rule was pablum, food for a child. I also thought that when I grew up spiritually, I'd put away pablum and eat meat. The older I get, the more experience I have in the church and with Christians, and the longer I seek to follow the Jesus Creed as developed in the Sermon on the Mount, the more the Golden Rule looks like the real meat and the supposed deep things look like commentary on the Golden Rule.
Scot McKnight, 40 Days Living the Jesus Creed, 109.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe eating meat means
when we actually have to chew
on the word.

live it.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Nancy, Yes. And that means we need to ponder the Golden Rule in an ongoing way, since Scripture says that that is the Law and the Prophets.