Wednesday, January 24, 2007

bhumble

Pastor Jack Brown gave us a wonderful message, Sunday, entitled "A Renewed Church....is Humble". My notes from what he said:
Augustine said something like, "Rise by descending. A tower to God's glory (the thought, I'd guess) has the foundation of humiliation." We need to be becoming less and less (so Christ can become more and more).

From Philippians 2:5-11.
1. Humility rejects entitlement.
Laying down ALL expectations. Act of surrender giving God more freedom to work in our lives.

2. Humility embraces nothingness.
Architect of Billy Graham meetings, Charley Riggs: "I always asked the Lord to put me in over my head. Then I knew any good that happens is God working." (paraphrase)

3. Humility chooses servanthood.
Of course Pastor Jack had much else to say, which was very good. These are just thoughts that struck me, which I wrote down.

Then going home we saw a car ahead of us with the license plate having the letters: bhumble.

Funny (ha) how this is an important part of what God is teaching and working in me, lately, it seems. This is in regard to issues that I must put at the Lord's feet, so to speak. And gladly take my place, whatever it might be. Seeking to do God's will, and live out his will for us in Christ Jesus, along with other believers. And be here to be in mission. Hopefully following in the footsteps of Jesus.

How does this strike you? Or/And what has the Lord taught you about humility that you'd like to share with us?

6 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

Over at Charity's Words on Words, I was thinking that blogging is actually humbling. Can be. As people take what they think are the "important" things to comment on from my post and go forward. These things are rarely the things I was excited about to begin with. I find this humbling, in its way.

Every Square Inch said...

Ted

Not many bloggers post about humility and I'm glad that you do! I'm not sure I have much to add except to say that humility embraces our limitations and acknowledges God's sovereignty.

One of the things I've learned in business is that while we can work hard and smart, there is much that we cannot control. It means I have to trust God. It seems simple but having a strain of pride that runs deep, I often want to control every element of my circumstances. God has a way of showing me otherwise.

Interestingly, I posted yesterday on what Jim Collins, the business guru calls Level 5 leadership - in his view, the pinnacle of transformational leadership. It blends personal humility with relentless will to accomplish the mission. It sounds counter-intuitive, doesn't it. If you're inclined, do check it out.

Ted M. Gossard said...

L.L., I too find blogging humbling. And yes, I've had the same thought before, I believe (even recently, I think).

But maybe at my age I take it more for granted. That people will see things I don't. Or something will hit them in a way, or bring things to their mind, different from me at that time.

I think just to interact and open oneself before others at all is going to inevitably involve humility. Because we are all lacking in so many things, I think. So that we need each other, as well as God, in all of this.

Thanks for bringing that up. Sometimes I just think a comment of mine or a post just isn't all that good. Probably right, sometimes. Ha. (Though one of the things I like about blogging is that we can post things not as finished products, but thoughts for others to join in and make better. Kind of like looking at something together.)

Ted M. Gossard said...

Andre, So true.

I'll check out your posting. In my own way, I think the Lord has been working on me about the same thing concerning controlling things, or worrying how something might look as to how it might reflect on my work.

The blend of humility and devotion to God's will was certainly demonstrated by Jesus. Good thoughts. Thanks.

L.L. Barkat said...

Yes, Ted, the humility of team work. That's an interesting way to look at what happens (or can) with blogging.

Ted M. Gossard said...

L.L., The humility of teamwork. I like that. Thanks. And thanks.