Saturday, August 22, 2009

being yourself

While we need to listen to what others might think, and take wisdom from wherever we find it, especially from friends and those in Jesus, we need to beware of thinking we have to fit into a jacket that really doesn't fit us.

This is a precarious balance to keep, because a critique or suggestion may sound like it is off, yet it may have something important to offer.

A blogging friend recently told me that I ought to quit reading so much of this and that, and concentrate on God's word and working that into my life. Ouch, of course! But I think they had a valid point, and one I've been working on anyhow, lately. That at least validated part of what is on my heart, and what I'm seeking to work better into my life.

At the same time I have to be who I am. I can't be like that person, or someone else. So that I gladly began to read and work through a most challenging book, part of the time last evening when my wife and I were playing Super Scrabble. A very fun evening, by the way.

While at the same time seeking to hold close to my heart how God seems to be moving me in my life, which includes slowing down, which I mentioned in a recent post.

I am thankful for my wife who lets me be myself and even blesses that. But she gets after me where I need it. But I want to hear others as well, from whom God may speak into my life.

What about you on this?

9 comments:

Jason Jasperse said...

I'm telling you, you'll never go back to the original. Once you land a quadruple word score, it's all over!

wingnut

Dave J. said...

If in marriage we should accept each other as is, so too our relationship with God. But there has to be room for change, and listening to others suggestions. And of course we don't even listen to ourselves (being literally of two minds).

But there is something wrong in doing/being someone you are not.

Ted M. Gossard said...

wingnut,

Yeah. I like Super Scrabble probably better than Scrabble. Probably pros and cons on both sides, but overall I do think this Super Scrabble is better.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Dave J.,
Change is certainly an inherent part of life, particularly of the Christian life as we are to be growing more and more into the image of Christ.

Double-mindedness is certainly something we can struggle with, but God calls us to something beyond that, if I understand James correctly. Unless I don't understand what you're getting at.

But yes, while there can be much difficulty at times, what we're becoming is to be a natural part of who we are. It's not something forced and put on. But within that we have to be open to God calling us on to new places in our spiritual formation, that we haven't imagined for ourselves. Of course that does involve some things that are not always pleasant, to be sure.

Diane said...

This is a wonderful reminder that God wants us to be who we are, in service to him. We are not all cut from the same cookie cutter. We are the face of Christ as we infuse all of creation --including Scrabble --with this love!

Ted M. Gossard said...

Diane,
Thanks.

I'm guessing my friend would not deny me my books, but just saw the need to speak something true into my life.

So true that we are all so unique from the loving hand of God.

Anonymous said...

i wish people knew how to give and accept constructive criticism. and i wish we could find the balance between thinking we are following jesus if we tick off everyone or never tick off anyone.

Ted M. Gossard said...

the holy wild,
Thanks.

Yes, it does seem like we are given to extremes too often. I would think words of correction for the most part will be gentle and drawn out. Only at times we may have to be stern. But even then we should try to express our love for them, clearly.

Kevin S said...

Thanks for posting this to your blog