Tuesday, July 14, 2009

feelings

I'm reading an interesting book on feelings, which has raised my eyebrows at times so far, but still leaves me intrigued. More to come on it!

While emotions are a powerful indicator of where we might be, our own perception and understanding of them is fallible. At the same time emotions are a part of our humanity, and no part of our humanity is to be despised. We are, after all, made in the image of God.

While I think feelings are important, I still insist that I don't live on them. Maybe the author will help me tweak or refine my thinking on this. I do live with emotions, and they do impact my life daily.

When I feel especially low or troubled, this for me is a good indicator that I need to pray. Of course we enjoy the times when we're genuinely happy.

I do think growing up in regard to our feelings has its place. And feelings come along in that maturity into Christ-likeness, as we begin to feel something of what God feels. That is what I want to feel. Something of the sharings in Christ's sufferings, something in the pull in the Father's heart for the prodigals, something of the groan of and in the Spirit for the redemption of all things.

What would you like to share on feelings?

4 comments:

nannykim said...

Hmmm, the book sounds interesting. You will have to share more on this as you read more.

Diane said...

Yes, I would like to hear more too.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Nannykim,
Glad for your interest. Will do.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Okay, Diane. Sounds good.