Thursday, July 23, 2009

meeting Lois Tverberg

Last evening, Deb and I had the privilege of meeting the author, Lois Tverberg, in a coffee place in Holland. It was fun, and it was nice to get to know Lois a little. She indeed has an infectious enthusiasm for learning from the gospels what it means to follow Jesus. A very human enthusiasm surely not unlike the people who knew Jesus personally when he lived here on earth, not just on some academic level.

Her framing of this in its Jewish context is quite helpful both in understanding it, and for our lives today. I plan to start an interactive weekly study, based on her latest book, Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewishness of Jesus Can Transform Your Faith, probably in September if not before. And it's good to know she's working on another book to be published by Zondervan, with more, hopefully, to come.

To read the book by her and Ann Spangler from cover to cover will likely clear up any questions one might have. I really appreciated hearing her perspective of the book. She was really the mind, in her scholarship behind it, while Ann was perhaps the writer, though Lois can most certainly write. But Ann was helping it connect with readers, not unlike a Sunday morning message from a pastor might connect to his or her church.

What I picked up the most from Lois was joy. Joy expressed in seeking to share and be a true follower of our Rabbi Jesus. Jesus is our Rabbi as we read and glean God's truth from him, from the gospels (Matthew through John).

To be a true follower of Jesus in this life is difficult on many fronts, not least of all the home front. We are "naturally" (but not really natural in what is intended in being truly human) turned in on ourselves, so that we see everything in relation to ourselves. Rather we need to learn to see God as the center, and we and all else in relationship to him. That involves conversion in and to Jesus, to be sure, and a lifelong process in seeking to be a true follower of Jesus.

So I highly recommend that you get and read the book! You won't be disappointed, I can assure you. And I look forward to our interactivity on it.

What might you like to add here?

11 comments:

Kurt Willems said...

Great stuff! I wish I could have been part of your meeting with her! I need to catch up on my postings on the book as well. It has been a busy few months, but things are leveling out so hopefully I will begin posting new chapter reviews soon :-) Grace and Peace...

nancy said...

i had to reorder the book. for some reason the order got dropped from the other sales person on amazon, so i am trying another one.

september is the time to start studies!

i think that the comments section should be working on my blog now...i did some changes.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Kurt,
Yeah. Hopefully some time you'll get to meet her as well.

I think what she keeps working on is integrated into who she is, which is interesting. Or I would suppose she is working on that, a natural part of what she has learned and is sharing.

Thanks.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Nancy,
Thanks.

Yes, no later than September, and probably around the middle of the month as that's when regular life gets going, summer ended. Sorry to say those last two words!

I don't know how I'll do it. So much intriguing stuff in the book that I'm leaning toward taking one main thought and picture that goes with it, at a time, and working on that in posts.

nannykim said...

It is funny--I think you mentioned her on facebook and I thought , "hmmm, the name is familiar"---I have been reading that book this month (I read a pile at one time---dipping in and out).....I am really enjoying the book! I had ordered it because someone had mentioned it on their blog, perhaps it was you?

Ted M. Gossard said...

Yes, Nannykim. At least I did do that, and I think you did respond.

Glad to hear you're reading and enjoying the book.

L.L. Barkat said...

I love all things Jewish. Hoping my library has this one. :)

L.L. Barkat said...

Bingo!

Just placed a hold on it. :)

Ted M. Gossard said...

L.L.,

Great! :)

Diane said...

Ted,
I look forward to this study. My own faith has been so informed by Jewish friends who are Sabbath observant. It's such a huge witness not to bend to the dictates of a 24/7 world.

I liked Holland the day we were there!

Ted M. Gossard said...

Diane,

Thanks.

Yes, I'm more convinced than ever after reading the book that there's much we can learn from the Jewish side, which indeed Jesus fulfills, so that it is both preparatory and necessary for us in better understanding and receiving God's revelation to us in Scripture and in Jesus.

Lauren Winner has helped me some on this, but I still need to read her book, "Mudhouse Sabbath."

And yes, Holland, Michigan is a lovely place. Especially during Tulip Festival Time every May! But a nice town on Lake Michigan.