Sunday, September 13, 2009

Dietrich Dietrich Bonhoeffer on persevering in mediation on God's word

Above all, it is not necessary that we should have any unexpected, extraordinary experiences in meditation. This can happen, but if it does not, it is not a sign that the meditation period has been useless. Not only at the beginning, but repeatedly, there will be times when we feel a great spiritual dryness and apathy, an aversion, even an inability to meditate. We dare not be balked by such experiences. Above all, we must not allow them to keep us from adhering to our meditation period with great patience and fidelity.

....We must center our attention on the Word alone and leave consequences to its action.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Life Together, 83-84

2 comments:

Diane said...

Hi Ted,

Good quote on Bonhoeffer. As a Quaker who sat in expectant silent worship and felt, at a certain point, that I was wasting my time because nothing was "happening," I can attest that something WAS happening. The Holy Spirit was at work and later I was able to understand it as I was changed. So I would agree with B that God is working on us even when we can't "feel" it.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Yes, Diane. That reminds me of the silent retreat I was part of in the recent past. And another one soon coming I'd like to make. Anyhow I had something of the same experience you express here, that day.